Saturday, April 28, 2012

Ultimate Reading Videos

I know it's been a while since I've updated and added new content to CBSB Homeschool.  But I am excited to share with you this YouTube playlist I've been using to teach my 3.5 year old daughter to read.  She's been watching some of these videos since she was about 2 years old, but I've been steadily adding videos and now the playlist is huge.

Click on the link to go to the playlist on YouTube where you can view full screen, or check out the embedded video box below.



These videos include: Hooked on Phonics, Reading With Ruby,  a variety of ABC videos, some Read Between the Lions videos, Sesame Street, Word World, and a wide variety of other popular kid's TV shows.

Specifically as a teacher and parent I do not believe in children learning to read by 'sight' or 'high frequency' words.  I prefer that children learn through blending and pronouncing each phonetic sound.  I know too many people that learned via 'sight and high frequency' words and are in their 20's 30's now and still have trouble reading, because they do not know how to pronounce new words they've never seen before.  With this in mind, the playlist I have compiled below focuses on teaching children how to pronounce words.

This playlist is a little over an hour long (at the time of this article), and is ever evolving.  You may wish to randomize the playlist as you watch and only watch in 10 minute intervals with your child so that they don't get bored.  My three year old thinks these are the greatest cartoons on earth however, so she has no problem sitting for 30 minutes while I do some chores and learning her ABC's!

Ultimate Reading Playlist:





Do you have some great free reading resources?  Share them in a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

OctoFinder